“Technology is the Mortal Enemy of Art.”

Rodchenko’s Manifesto of the Constructivist Group states “Technology is the Mortal Enemy of Art.”. However I disagree with this statement because I believe the practice of art wouldn’t be the same today without technology. Many forms of contemporary art involve a form technology in the process or the outcome.

“Throughout history, technology has provided artists with new tools for expression. Today, these two seemingly distinct disciplines are interlinked more than ever, with technology being a fundamental force in the development and evolution of art.”¹

Graphic arts are an example of how technology and art have become so connected. Photography would not be where it is without the development of DSLR cameras, motion graphics may not have advanced from zoetropes and kinetoscopes and graphic designers would not be able to experiment with ideas and designs so easily without the aid of digital softwares.

The use of digital software and programs has reduced the time artists spend on the execution of their artwork and has also allowed new artistic techniques to develop. I for one have experienced this benefit of the combination of technology and art. I use digital software like adobe Illustrator and Photoshop a lot in my practice, so technology has had a crucial impact on my style and technique, for example I like to digitalise my illustrations and I couldn’t do it so easily without the use of the adobe shape app.

¹ Gever, E. (2012). Tech & art: Engineering the future. [online] BBC News. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19576763 [Accessed 24 Oct. 2017].