What I have learnt

In these ten weeks on Research and communication lecture, I have learnt, researched and explored a lot, my idea towards art has totally changed and improved. I was able to identify how I could improve my work by getting an opportunity to explore different kinds of work by various designers. I have obtained a lot pf inspiration by looking at other successful designer’s work. My favourite tasks included the tasks where we had to write about Counter Culture, Publish or Perish and Technology is the mortal enemy of Graphic Design. Through these tasks I was able to find a deeper sense of the types of design techniques I like working with, which are- Typography, Photo manipulation, minimalistic posters etc. I am very sure that now when I will start working on new projects my thinking and creativity would totally be improved. The presentations and videos shown to us in the class have been proved to be very useful for my area of interest. Before this class, my area of interest was only limited to Graphic Design, but by getting to know about other types of art I feel my knowledge and interests towards other disciplines has increased effectively. The relation between the Research and Communication Skills lecture and the studio based lectures is very strong, because by attending the Research and Communication lectures I was able to give a higher and more creative input in my studio skills. The documentary of Paula Scher shows to us in the class was my favourite one, and after that day, I have and referred that documentary to many of my other friends in Canada who are also Graphic Designers. It was very inspiring to watch the documentary and it gave me a new perspective and a benchmark for what I aim to become in future. I have also improved in the area of writing through this module. Now I am confident in exploring other disciplines as well, as I have gained a lot of knowledge about all the four pathways of Graphic Arts. I have totally realized how influential a design, a photograph or a text can be. Through the use of good design we can influence a large number of audience.

This module has proved to be very beneficial for me, I am very inspired by each lecture providing the opportunity to explore different fields which earlier I was not familiar with. I had no interest in Illustration, but after this module, I have gained a lot of knowledge about this pathway which has made Illustration one of my pathway choice. I am sure that after getting the opportunity to enhance my knowledge in all the four pathways I have become a better designer and my approach towards designing and way of thinking/creating has totally improved.