Publish or Perish!

Printed Pages A/W 2015 cover. Original image: Yahnker, E. (2012). Kanye Stack. [coloured pencil on paper].

If this image did not exist physically in the world as it does on the cover of the Autumn/Winter 2015 issue of Printed Pages AKA The It’s Nice That Magazine I would not have chosen it. I like to collect published images in the form of books, albums and magazines as I feel a personal connection with works of design that I myself can own and hold, a sentiment I share with the people behind this magazine: “By name and by nature, Printed Pages has always been a celebration of print”. Outside of being a published image it has a story to tell, one of fame and distortion of perception.

Rozycki, P. and Keates, M. (1993). Charles Bukowski – Women (cover artwork). Virgin Books.

Similarly if I didn’t physically own a copy of the 1993 Virgin Books edition of Charles Bukowski’s 1978 novel, Women, I would not be able to talk about it now. It was a struggle to find an image of it online and the only one I could find is slightly blurred with a level of glare showing up on the glossy cover. It’s a great shame because it’s one of my favourite book covers of all time, that’s why I immediately thought to include it. The bizarre combination of imagery ranging from a scanned photocopy image of a tender embrace between a man and woman rendered through blunt realism and the wild but painterly type helps to evoke some of the feeling that the story is bursting with.

Favre, M. (2017). The New Yorker November 20, 2017 Issue (cover artwork/online animated version).

Seeking out another cover I found something very indicative of the fastly advancing world of publishing supported by technology. Similarly modern was the a New Yorker cover by Christoph Niemann which was featured on the Netflix documentary series: ‘Abstract’ and supplemented by augmented reality technology. The message behind this image that is also supported by the cover story in of the issue has to do with discrimination in the code business and the importance of educating children in an increasingly demanded skill.

It’s Nice That. (2015). Printed Pages AW 2015. [online] Available at: https://www.itsnicethat.com/publications/printed-pages-aw-2015 [Accessed 7 Dec. 2017].

Abstract: The Art of Design, S01E01 – Christoph Niemann: Illustration. (2017). Directed by M. Neville. New York City: Netflix.

The New Yorker Videos. (2017). Christoph Niemann’s Augmented-Reality Covers. [online] Available at: http://video.newyorker.com/watch/introducing-christoph-niemann-augmented-reality-covers.