task 3 & 4

Bullis, Douglas. Fashion Asia. London: Thames & Hudson, 2000. Print.

“Traditional Chinese Clothing: History, Types, Features.” Travelchinaguide.com. N.p., 2017. Web. 2 Nov. 2017.

Jiang, Yaling. “Shanghai Fashion Week 2017: Minimalism, Food, Ancient China, And Other Themes And Trends – Supchina.” SupChina. N.p., 2017. Web. 2 Nov. 2017.

This book is about introducing fashion designers in different area of Asia, and as I look through it I found that quite a lot of the designer love to bring in elements of traditional fashion into their designs. As a Chinese myself, I decided to research more about the traditional clothing of China as we have a very rich history of fashion in different dynasty, and although we wear modern clothes in our daily lives, we still wear traditional clothes during certain festival and special event, such as wedding day and Chinese new year.

The most well know fashion are the Chinese suit(Tang Zhuang) and the cheongsam(Qi Pao). I think that the Chinese suit in the first design which has combined the western and the Chinese fashion, as it is based on a western style suit with straight collar and buttons down the front design. It is a really simple design but very elegant as well. For the cheongsam it is originated from the Manchu female clothes, and it is then developed in straight collar, strain on the waist, coiled buttons and slits on both sides of the dress. It is usually made from silk, cotton and linen.

To find out more about fashion designer combining traditional and modern fashion, I found a news article of Shanghai Fashion Week 2017: minimalism, food, ancient china, and other themes and trends. This article introduced Chinese fashion designers who taking over the Shanghai fashion week are those who have been study overseas, but they are not only returning in physical sense, they are returning to the home culture and history. My favorite designer from this article is Kate Han which is the founder of MUKZIN. In the ss2018 collection, it is based on Mukzin imagines world called “Chaos of mountains and seas” where the Chinese classic story Shan Hai Jing meets Jurassic World. The garments have small element of traditional clothes and big parts of 3D prints and textures. I really like this collection as I think Kate have successfully given traditional Chinese costumes a modern twist.