task 1&2

women in garment designed based on traditional style, book chapter “Indonesia”, designer Ghea Panggabean, photographer unknown

Bullis, Douglas (2000) Fashion Asian, Thames& Hudson, London

Alexander McQueen ss2005 collection, Paris, October 8, 2004, source by Vogue, Sarah Mower, photographer unknown.

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2005-ready-to-wear/alexander-McQueen

primary source found on this VOGUE website of Spring 2005 ready to wear

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-alexander-mcqueen-savage-beauty/about-the-exhibition/

information of the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition on the V&A webside

Information of McQueen inspirations of the collection

more detail information of the collection on the met museum website

http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/ensemble-its-only-a-game-2/

I have found an image of women in garment designed by Ghea Panggabean, which are in pink tone and a sense of tradition feel. This made me think of the McQueen ss2005 “it’s only a game” collection where he has combine Japanese kimonos and American football uniform. They both adapted traditional design into a modern design, however McQueen also mixing two culture together. They have a pink tone in common of the designs. But Panggabean’s designs are more wearable where McQueen’s are more alike a costume or art piece.

To find out more about the “it’s only a game” collection, I put the name of the collection into google and I found the vogue website has all the image of the collection, but the writer, Sarah Mower comment mostly about the ready to wear collection, not those few garments that interest me the most. So I decided to go onto the V&A website and see if I can find any information about the collection since I have been to the Alexander McQueen: savage beauty exhibition at the V&A. However, there isn’t much detail about it. Then I went on to the met museum website to search for more information as the McQueen’s Savage Beauty exhibit is originally started from the MET Museum. Luckily, I found more information about it and also the concept of the “it’s only a game” collection.

McQueen’s inspirations of the collection are from Edwardian lace, Japanese kimonos, American football and Latin American. The runway show is around the idea of a chess game between America and Japan. Each ensemble corresponded to a particular chess piece. Which this idea of human chess was inspired by the first Harry Potter novel, the Philsopher’s Stone.

In the process of researching, I have started from Ghea Panggabean’s designs to Alexander McQueen’s “it’s only a game” collection. I have discovered how one image can convey to such a wide range of other things can be related or have a link to it. I love how I can think of an object that is related straight away when I saw the first picture, and I think this allows me to have a chance to research more information in depth of something that I’m interested but have not had any chance to know about it.

To find reliable information and useful online resources for fashion, I like to go on museum website, fashion magazine website such as VOGUE and trends website like WGSN. Official site like these will always provide archive and information which are reliable.