Task 1&2

The research process for this task was quite straight forward, just by finding a random image in a book I found a lot of useful information through utilising museum archive and magazine websites. Through researching the Jazz Age 1919-1929 of fashion I found that this new style was like a new start for women after the first world war. This era really glamorised the modern woman. I also found that this era was care free as the younger generation ‘glorified fast living, dancing and the exciting sound of syncopated jazz described by the writer F. Scott Fitzgerald as the Lost Generation’. This fashion period really stripped down the previous fashion period of the female silhouette into a less figure hugging loose fitted shape and flattened breasts as the garment structure consisted of the lack of a corset which meant less tailoring, meaning that women could construct their own clothing in their homes. This fashion era to me was very constructive as it allowed women to move freer than before as corsets and petticoats really restricted movement and I believe it may have also restricted the behaviour of women, although petticoats and corsets was an amazing fashion trend with overexaggerated but lovely silhouettes it lacked a lot of freedom and was very dangerous at times. I think that the first world war was an unfortunate but good event in terms of being a reward for women because of their previous struggles of fighting for their rights and being seen as equally important and needed as men.
Overall, this task has helped me to realise the importance of doing further research into a subject as I never really do this as I feel like it can become very time consuming but I now understand that research helps you to better your knowledge and understanding of the world we live in whether the subject is in the past, present or future. This task has taught me that there are a lot of helpful resources out there to aid me when doing research for example, I have found that museums are a great way to look for objects both new and old, museums also help with finding information on an object or image which can really allow extra opportunities to find links to other websites designers and artists work. I think this task will help me in the future with studio practice as I feel as if when I create work I often don’t really know why I have done it in a certain type of way or why I have researched a particular theme which leads to me being unable to give a decent explanation of my sketchbook. Therefore, I will be sure to conduct thorough research into my project theme without finding the first thing I see and going with it.
Knowledge is really power.

https://bellatory.com/fashion-industry/WomensFashionsofthe1920-FlappersandtheJazz-Age

task 1&2images