Post Modernism

The first image (Haring, 1990) is very graphical and colourful. It has consistent thick lines and blocky colour which I like. This gives the impression that it is uniform, but the more random dots at the bottom of the piece show this is not the case and this gives a handmade effect to the piece which I like. I also like the union of the graphical and hand-rendered which I think is held together by the blocks of the similarly-toned colour. The simplicity of the figures are also something graphical I like about the piece. The artist has deconstructed the figure to only show what is necessary and I think this communicates the expression well.

The second image (Basquiat, 1982) is much more hand-rendered than the first, done in oil paintsticks (Christies, 2008) and I like this also. It comes across as very messy and expressive which is a way I like to work and this works well in deconstructing the figure. Basquiat has deconstructed the forms of a boxer in recognisable, human like, shapes. The boxer looks intimidating because of his face and the way his arms are raised, just how a boxer would intimidate their opponent. The mood and atmosphere of a boxer is shown clearly, even though there are minimal realistic aspects, the necessary ones are there. This is the thing I think works well and I could aim to use a similar method to execute an atmosphere in a seemingly simple manner.

The third image (Wolfgang, 1975) looks the most modern of the two, being created much closer to the modernist period. The deconstructive aspect to it is in the largely nonsensical composition where things are placed randomly but they make sense in relation to one another. My favourite aspect to this piece as a whole is the question mark replacing the P in ‘STOP,’ making a command word into a question which I think is very clever. The symbols within this piece point to ‘STOP’ and the alert symbol making these focal points of the pieces, the white space in the work also accentuates this, which is a simplicity I appreciate.