Task 12: Choose a large work and imagine it smaller or choose a small work and imagine it bigger or more or less elaborate.

This is a self portrait that I did as part of the first shared drive project where we sampled different workshops around the university. To create it, I used black acrylic paint and finger painted it. The size of the image is the size of me so roughly 5’1.

If I could recreate this image again I would choose to make it A4/A3 sized. It is very difficult for me to work with really large projects as my height makes it difficult for me to reach the paper. This means that I struggle to get the detail that I’d like to feature in my paintings.

I would also choose to make it more elaborate and in keeping with my own style as an artist. This would mean incorporating lots of blues, purples, pinks and greens into the painting, which would be a lot easier if it was on a smaller scale. However, I do like the black in the painting as it makes it stand out, so maybe I could combine the black paint with the colourful paints.

Due to the size of the painting, it was difficult to get accurate details of my face into it, so I’m not sure that it necessarily resembles me. However, I do quite like the uneven eyes and the blank expression, it is almost a cartoon and perhaps resembles my inner self, rather than my outer self.