Task 10

10 words that represent my practice:

1. Disfigure
2. Organic
3. Distort
4. Mysterious
5. Emergent
6. Flourish
7. Meandering
8. Expressive
9. Figurative
10. Obscure

Image to represent my practice:

My practice is still developing and begging to meander down different paths. I have chosen some words to represent my practice which suggests how it’s changing and where I would like it to go such as, flourish and emergent as it is yet to be defined. However, I am starting to see elements which are reoccurring within my work. I particularly enjoy working with portraiture especially obscuring portraits in an expressive way. Working with different elements including, ink, paint, watercolours, Photoshop (overlaying) and even destruction of imagery. And so, I have also picked words which describe the way I have currently been working.

I have chosen a painting which I created a while ago, when I first decided to do a project on portraiture and experimenting with ways of hiding the face in an organic way. Since then I have come a long way with this single idea, yet it is one which I seem to keep revisiting, testing and developing further. The painting is a self-portrait line drawing using fine liner, then by using free-flowing shapes and inks to create a way of hiding my face underneath this colourful mess. Two topics which I am very much interested in now is identity, how we hide who we are from others and the way we pick up different traits from the people around us. Also, the psychology behind looking at imagery of a face which has been manipulated or drawn on and why that makes the viewer uncomfortable.