Task 10 by Bianca Schmittmann

“Colourful narratives which look innocent yet thought provoking or dark”

The image and these ten words are what I think represent my practice. The ten words sum up how I see most of my works (literally). And the image that I have chosen links with my ten words. It is colorful, it’s a narrative from a fairytale which is socially seen as something innocent as they are for children. Most fairytales are originally a lot darker therefore I decided to paint a dark scene yet paint it in a way that it looks innocent and positive, making the piece thought provoking to the viewer.

I have chosen this image, because I think it is one of my most powerful pieces. I love mixing and adding dashes of colour, I love painting narratives and specifically fairy tales and manipulating them into my own. A playful looking piece with a dark story behind it is such a brilliant idea to me. Even though I have started branching into different themes, looking into digital art and looking at more contemporary narratives, right now I still feel that fairy tale narratives are the most important to me in my practice.

Behind the Gingerbread House, Acrylic on wood, 130 x 180 cm.