Task Ten

Process, performative, gestural, fluid, energetic, interactive, spontaneous, rebellious, playful, documentative

My practice has evolved within the past few monthsĀ and is moving towards performance-based work. Movement is an important aspectĀ of my work, mainly due to the fact that I want to celebrate process as opposed to the idea of an outcome. IĀ believe artistsĀ put too much emphasis on the importance of outcomes, and should focus more on how art is madeĀ in the first place. Therefore, documentation is also a big part of my work: without documentation, I wouldnā€™t be able to show the initial process.

The way IĀ channel movementĀ is energetic, fluid and gestural. I utilize performance to make marks, and this is evident within the film I created for the artist film project (as shown in the screenshot attached).Ā Dramatic movements and gestures are importantĀ to emphasiseĀ concepts of a celebration of process. I find my work almostĀ rebelliousĀ because as mentioned above, Iā€™m not invested in notions of outcome: I want myĀ work to be spontaneous as a way of rebelling against the confines of how we view art. Furthermore, I haveĀ attempted to be rebellious in my material choice, to move further away from traditional mediums. Using paint and paintbrushes in a ā€˜traditionalā€™ way is something that I believe is outdated: instead, I have been looking into using materials such as carpet stain remover, roll-on deodorant and clingfilm. These mundane materials are not only obscure, but the fact that there isnā€™t a ā€˜setā€™ way to use them allows for playful, authenticĀ experimentation.Ā