Task 12 – Choose A Piece of Work & Change It’s Scale

Again, I’ve taken this painting from my contemporary project. Originally this painting is from a series of similar smaller paintings, however, if I was to imagine it larger, I would keep it how it is but simply enlarge it to as big as it could be. I think the slightly gross and unfamiliar atmosphere created around the piece would be amplified as it grows in size. The viewer would become almost surrounded by this fleshy piece and possibly start to feel some discomfort with it. I think the subject of flesh for a painting is usually seen in figure/life paintings or the classic nude paintings seen throughout history. Therefore I think audiences have become numb to nude figure being shown in a painting, almost as if you’re expecting to see atleast one when visiting a gallery. However, I think the idea taking the body and zooming in so far that it becomes just flesh and at first is difficult to figure out which part of the body it is from, is a fresh and new approach to using the body in art. The viewer could possibly have a more uncomfortable and confused reaction than they would if it was made clear it was a painting of the body. But, again, once they do discover it is from something as simple and common as the human hand, this confusion may go. Whereas, the sheer scale of the piece will always be there to surround the viewer and make a statement.