Kerry Mercer – Research and communication skills / Task 11

Upon reflection within my blog, I can see how my art took a dramatic turn from more traditional ways to creating work, to more of a new media approach. This was evident from Task 2 where my work was considering Anselm Kiefer and the type of painting/sculptures he creates, compared to Task 8 where I distorted an image through editing software. This distortion is a key theme to my art now which allows me to see how the impact of the blog was more influential than I first thought.

Benefits from doing the blog was that it allowed me to focus on other aspects to art other than my own. Task 3 (analysing NikkI S Lee’s Part 14 photograph) and Task 5 (reflecting upon Bathers at La Grenouillère seen in the National Gallery) allowed me to think more in depth into other’s artwork and to focus on what I can take from those. In doing this, it inspired me within my own artwork, which also encouraged me to look more closely into other artists to get the same result.

At times the blog also proved challenging, this was most evident in Task 6 when being asked to create a mode of practice. Creating an original technique proved a struggle seeing as there are already so many ways out there. This I adapted and overcame by focusing more on pre-existing processes, pilling them together and placing emphasis on what people can take from the result. This did not come naturally too me, however forced me to focus on an innate original idea that would go on to strongly inspire me in my work to come.

The blog allowed me to focus on elements, concepts and theories to art that I otherwise would not have focused on. Most of these being fundamental to my work and more importantly to the art world around me, thus informing me in more ways I’d like to admit.