Kerry Mercer – Research and communication skills / Task 10

10 chosen words:

Technology, Evolve, Atmosphere, Effects, Distortions, Perspective, Progression, Questions, Exploring, Variety

Although my practice originally started with no connections to technology at all, nor did I aim to explore into it, I find myself centring my work fully around it now. I found this evolved through the Contemporary Project. I begun looking at Monet’s impressionism and seeing how he slightly altered the way we see a scene, which inspired me to do the same using a variety of methods to do so.

Here I began focusing on creating an atmosphere to my work through using certain types of effects and distortions. I emphasised this in the Film Project where I took ordinary videos I’d captured over time, of both people and places, and edited them using adobe premiere pro (a 21st century piece of technology). This gave a whole new perspective too the videos and completely altered from what they originally showed.

Throughout I found myself asking, although I can make these effects completely change the image which has progressed from years of technology evolving – does this make my artwork any better, than simply viewing it via how it was originally captured? This can also be said in relation to Monet’s work, where you could question whether impressionism really brought something to the world of art, or simply took away what was really there. This kind of question is the main theme around my art, and one I wish to continue exploring.

Captured image from the Film Project titled – Is This Better Now