Task 3:

Renée Cox
Hot-en-tot Venus, 1994
[photograph]

In this photograph I see the artist Renée Cox standing naked in what another artist has created to show her representation of her body.
I believe this image is about self confidence in your body and being proud of how you look. I also think that in this photograph Renée Cox is looking into the camera lens and considering the views of her audience. In her face it seems to me that she is ready to be judged, as if she knows some people won’t like this art and won’t have a positive response towards it. But she did have the confidence to publish this art and I think that is a great thing, because sometimes you need to not think about what negative comments you can get but what positive comments and support you could receive. I think this piece is really good at portraying the message of self importance, confidence, and belief and not being influenced with other peoples negative comments.
This photograph is supposed to impact the audience by showing how Cox can refine her own identity as a black female artist and other artists like her. This piece in particular shows how Cox has love for her own body, and she portrays her body however she wants to and this then liberates her.
Source: https://artintheblackdiaspora.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/renee-cox-hot-en-tot/