Task 1 and 2

Book ‘The Art Book’, page 121, published by Phaidon
‘Egg Beater no. 4’, Davis, Stuart, (1928), New York

Painting produced by Davis, ‘Egg Beater no. 1’, original painting, 1927, Whitney Museum of American Art

A search online showed that The Museum of Fine Art, Boston has a wide knowledge and archive of ‘The Egg Beater’ series produced by painter Davis

I am interested in artists that use bold colourful blocks to relate a story and meaning to its chosen audience. I came across Stuart Davis’ work in an art book and was interested straight away leading to me to look a little further online to see that he had actually produced a number of paintings for his series all produced in a similar way. This made me think that the way Davis produced his work was just alike the way that a fashion designer produces a collection all circulating around one source of inspiration, this case being an egg beater for Davis himself. I wanted to find out more about the meanings behind the set so went to a reliable website to help, I looked into Boston’s Museum of fine art which allowed me to gain a stronger knowledge behind his inspiration and reasoning behind what he did. I discovered that in 1927 Davis attached an electric fan, a rubber glove and an egg beater to a table which later resulted in four paintings being produced all in an abstract manner not resembling the objects at all allowing his audience to have to look a little deeper and further and come up with their own judgments. He became known as a modernist after this due to him enhancing people’s eyes and minds to the areas of the unknown and making people’s judgements and ideas always change. By doing this task I have been inspired to take this into my own work and make people look at my creations in a different way allowing a modernistic approach to my products. This task was interesting and made me look at a relating theme in different areas. Looking at Davis’ work in a book then online made me feel like I already had a sense of knowledge towards his work and the way he liked to produce his skill to his audience.