Task 6, Mode of Practice

Mode of practice. It offers a way of considering the relations that occur within the process of making and developing a piece of work. Materials and tools are not just objectives to be used ā€˜instrumentallyā€™; they are used to become one of/ with an artistā€™s creative intelligence. Their creative intelligence can be shown through the form of design, digital media, performance, music, painting, drawings and more.

My research for an idea of new concepts and methods starts with Jenny Saville.Ā Her subject matter of her work deals with figure. She created work in which created a niche for overweigh and obese women [viii]. Alongside her artwork she reveals the models traumas, and how the rest of world preserves them.

Savilleā€™s approach to painting is achieved with a traditional sense. She uses paintbrushes as her main tool. Her primary media is oil paint, applied onto canvas in a way which the viewer can see the brushstrokes and each colour. This helps to see her attention towards the detail of curves, jagged edges and lines painted of the human figure. I found an organic quality to Savilleā€™s work, which made through the detail.

Saville inspired me to look into a practice that allowed me to depict the human figure of abnormality. Through abnormal brushstrokes, blank spaces and mixed media, including oil paints.

I started the development of practice with a simple outline of a female face, completed in charcoal.Ā This give me a chance to see where I wanted the shading and heavy lines to be placed. It also allows the artist to express the facial features in fine, yet power detail. Giving the image an expressive appeal.

I then began to explore the range of dark tones. Applying dark reds, purples, pinks and browns on top of the darker shaded areas. Each brushstroke I made sure was clear and large, following the shape of the face.Ā Then, while staying in the style/ practice of Saville, I added lighter shades of yellow, brown pinks and reds to help lift the figure off of the canvas.

The final touch to develop the practice further was adding another layer of charcoal. This increased the depth of shade between the figures hand and face, and also helped to outline to hair and define the facial features stronger.