Task 3/4 – Academic Integrity

The Barbican - The Vulgar CoverI have been interested in the Barbicanā€™s exhibition of ā€˜The Vulgarā€™ ever since I went to see it in January of this year. I found my first source on the Barbican’s exhibition in the Winchester School of Arts library. The book was called ā€˜Barbican The Vulgar Fashion Redefinedā€™ and was the Barbicans own documentation of the event itself, with references to the inspiration for the show and the best examples of the outstanding concept of vulgarity through fashion. For more information regarding ā€˜The Vulgarā€™ exhibition at The Barbican I headed to the Barbicanā€™s online website and found the Gallery’s personal write up of the exhibition, which was an overview of the show, thanking everyone involved in the creative process and all the designers who donated their own work for the huge project. I wanted to find an outside opinion on the exhibition so looked up reviews of the show. I chose a article from The Telegraph on the Barbican’s exhibition which had high praise for the work referring to it as ā€œdazzling and delightfully subversiveā€ [Paragraph 1, Line 2]. My favourite insight into the show that the author, S.Davies, gave was how we can sometimes not perceive our own hypocrisy when it came to personal taste ā€œthe showā€™s relentless probing of the hypocrisies of taste nudge at something deeper about how mankind sees itselfā€ [Paragraph 7, Line 3] For me this gives the exhibition an extra layer of reality which is not obvious until you see the connections between the viewer and the exhibitions vulgarity.

Book – Alison, A.J, Clark, J.C and Phillips, A.P (2016) Barbican The Vulgar Fashion Redefined, London, Koenig Books.

Website – The City of London Corporation (2017) The Vulgar: Fashion Redefined, Available from https://www.barbican.org.uk/the-vulgar-fashion-redefined [Accessed: 25th October]

Newspaper – Davies, S.D (2016) The Barbicanā€™s history of the vulgar is delightfully subversive – review, The Telegraph [Accessed:25th October]