Task 3/4

task 3

‘In fashion the term “fairy tale” is often used to descried clothing that is particularly spectacular’. I’ve always found elaborate creations and ball gowns so inspiring and I find that in my own work that I am very inspired by couture and one of a kind pieces. Many fashion designers are inspired by fairy tales as they have always been amongst our history within the arts. Inspiration like this can make one create such beauty, elegancy and luxury.

Scanning the books through the library I came across ‘Fairy Tale Fashion’ Colleen Hill which goes into more detail about the exhibition at the Museum at the FIT describes a summary of the fairy tale inspiration and how it has inspired various designers in the work in different ways. It describes in detail about what exactly the designer was thinking and trying the convey in their piece. I was particularly fascinated by ‘Some Enchanted Evening’, a dress created by Alexander McQueen, which is in fact the dress that has been used on the front cover and the hand- printed silk taffeta evening gown by Dolce and Gabbana (pg 17).

I was intrigued by the book by Hill to research about the exhibition. ‘Fairy tale fashion was a unique and imaginative exhibition that examined fairy tales through the lens of high fashion’. The exhibition included fantasy-like settings designed by the architect Kim Ackert to match the dramatic garments created by designers like Marchesa, Tom Ford, Alexander McQueen, Prada and Walter Van Beirendonck amongst many more. As the typical setting for a fairy story is woodland and forest, the fashion was used to illustrate what story the audience would be walking into. For example, variations of the Little Red Riding Hoods cloaks were on display, including the Commes des Garcons enormous, peaked hood in scarlet patent leather cloak- Fall 2014.

task 3.5task 4

https://www.fitnyc.edu/museum/exhibitions/fairy-tale-fashion.php

https://www.vogue.com/article/fairy-tale-fashion-exhibit-fit