Task 1&2

For my first time I worked on weaving project, I looked though some websites and magazines but I did not find anything useful. After my class I went to WSA library and borrowed a textile theory book, I found some helpful concepts on materials, fabric chosen and textile construction methods. The first chapter is introducing the role of textiles in fashion and I found the influence of the textile had impacted politics, lifestyles, laws and technological advancements throughout human history. For example, the Silk Road was an overland trade route that linked all over the world. (picture 1 and 2) It started Changan, China, with hundreds of smaller byways. The northern route ran westward from China to the Black sea and the southern route was included Afghanistan, Iran, and India. The most important is, the Silk Road delivered gold, food, animals and agricultural and metallurgical technologies. Textiles from far-away lands for use in fashion became a status symbol and a profitable business. That was a huge innovation.

Furthermore, I found an interesting theory on five basic steps of the field of textile manufacturing which are fibres, yarns, construction method , dyeing and finishing. Firstly, fibres are the basic material from naturally occurring (natural fibres) and man-made (manufactured and synthetic fibres and structural characteristics of fibres).The next stage on the journal to create a fashion textile is yarn production and spun and filament are two main classification of yarns. Then in woven textiles, there are three basic weave patterns which are plain weave, twill weave and satin weave. Here’s some sample of woven textiles. My first project was on woven design, so l collected some pictures on woven textile. Although it was difficult and spending time, I had a lot of fun on it.

72b559d710f813aea2123731fee57a1f

Saved by Heta Davis

Archaeological investigations extend the known age of the ancient road connecting Asia and central Europe called the Silk Road.

the-silk-road-crossed-by-marco-polo-593279658-588cac193df78caebc79825f

Silk Road merchants on the ancient trade route through Asia. From an illuminated 1375 Mallorcan manuscript

Cadigan. E. (2014) Sourcing and selecting textiles for fashion. London: Bloomsbury Publishing Plc

Kris Hirst (2017) Along the Silk Road – Archaeology and History of Ancient Trade. Available from : https://www.thoughtco.com/along-the-silk-road-167077?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shareurlbuttons_nip [Accessed 15 October 2017].