“Technology is the mortal enemy of art”

If we look at modern technology and design today, they work together in producing art but also to advertise it. Social media being one of these. There are many websites in which we can upload our work and gain a following. “Traditionally, artists would go to a gallery with their portfolio and the gallery would decide if their work was good enough to display or not. Now artists can simply use the internet to exhibit and display their work themselves.” (Gebore 2017) From this statement, I found myself agreeing with the idea that social media could make galleries obsolete. I think this would be a great shame, at a gallery there is more interaction. Whether we are looking at conceptual art or graphics. We also see the work printed instead of viewing something through a computer screen which could give a different appearance.

The benefits of using technology means we can create exciting new design. “Every efficiency that I gain through technology, the void is immediately filled with the question, ‘Can I make it more complex?’” (Standley 2013) Standley’s work is made better than it could ever be with the use of a laser cutter. The detail achieved would be near impossible by hand.

I would have to disagree with the statement “Technology is the mortal enemy of art.” I think with the use of technology we can do far greater things and reach our imaginations potential. I believe that galleries will live on through culture and people like me visiting them.

(Standley 2013)

Gebore, D. (2017) Artem ex machina: Technology’s impact on the changing world of art. Greely: The Mirror. Available from: https://www.uncmirror.com/arts/2017/08/20/artem-ex-machina-technologys-impact-on-the-changing-world-of-art/ [Accessed 21 October 2017]

Virginia Tech: Eric Standley (2013). YouTube Video. USA: Virginia Tech