Task 4

On a visit to The Tate in Liverpool I came across the exhibition of Aleksandra Mir’s work, this was an artist that I hadn’t identified previously. The size of her work was overwhelming and something I couldn’t have appreciated if I was viewing the work in a book or on a screen. My first impressions were, Mir had used black marker pen creating a contrast with the crisp white background of the paper and I questioned how she had managed to create such large scale pieces of work on her own. This was a question that would be answered with further research of the artist, I discovered that she works collaboratively with young artists and students making each pen stroke unique to the individual and each separate piece of work exclusive.

Texture was visible on each of the works, some being clouds and others being planets that came to life on paper. Marker pen is such an uncertain medium  to use as a mistake could so easily be made and be quite noticeable if looking carefully. Stood in the gallery space looking up at all the work I had this overpowering feeling of insignificance, everything seemed so much larger than I was especially with the references to outer space.