Emma Davies: Task 8

LINK TO DOWNLOAD FILM: Appropriation

After exploring Laure Provost’s film art, I was intrigued by the idea of combining an audio with synonymous imagery to play around with viewer perception. However, for this task I wished to instead experiment with antonymous visuals and amalgamate them with contradictory audio. With my interest in close-up photography and using the body as a medium, I found myself viewing YouTube videos of make-up application, examining the ways in which our own bodies can become a blank canvas for abundant expression. Thus, I wished to select a number of clips from different videos and combine them with a contradictory recording.

I am a feminist, and commercials from the 1950s, for example, aggravate me extremely. Women are presented in them as the less hard-working sex and derogatory comments are often made. Therefore, I wanted to take an audio from one of these commercials and combine it satirically with the make-up clips. Teaming together these audio-visuals I wanted to raise awareness to how disparagingly offensive the advertisement proclamations in fact are. Women are independent and powerful; we are equal; and the video I have created intends to mock the repellent nature of the 1950s audio.

Thus, by appropriating the audio/visuals I have fashioned a new meaning behind the two. And, by transforming the viewer’s perception, it encourages them to engage in a completely different way to how the originals would have intended.