WEEK 1 : Terminal Bar (2002) —- review and analysis

This twenty minutes short film was mostly constructed with black and white portrait, which taken by Stefan Nadelman, the boss manager and bartender in the bar for ten years. Because of this amateur, the original history of one part of New York street in that decade has been well conserve.

Throughout the whole video, the portraits flow with the rhythmical background music, which can attract audiences to keep their attention on it. In the same time, the producer also added the interview of Stefan between the stories and used his voice to narrate to photos, his could give it a more realistic sense from the video.

For me, there is a part of Stefan interview which shocked me a lot—- the people will just step on the bodies that lied on the street. He said” you gonna see these bullies people disappear from the street, the street eats them alive.” This can clearly show how the place with people of all kinds and people just live for themselves. I think personification is an influential way to show a message because it is a much easy way the explain the situation compare with the complicated sentences. It also kind of reflect my inspiration of my work because I always believe that simple things can have big influence.

To sum up, I didn’t watch this kind of film a lot but it change my expectation of it at some point since the music and the story match very well, which gave me the motivation to find out more about the history.