Terminal Bar

In the first week’s lecture, I saw a special movie which name is Terminal Bar. This is an American documentary short film directed by Stefan Nadelman. This film document a bar which is set in the middle of one of the dirtiest, toughest, wildest neighborhoods in New York. It’s an area where anything can happen, and does. The photographer took over 1,500 black and white portraits of the faces of the bar’s regular patrons. He worked for his father-in-law, who owned the place. He want to document the customers and their stories in this bar, to help people to remember these things and people that otherwise would be lost without trace.

I think the most special point in this movie is that all senses are organized by static photos, and the photographer zoom the senses of photos to make a motion feeling. In addition, he put pictures and newspapers together. We can through the date of newspaper and narratage to follow the senses, and give you extra details to part of this bar. Furthermore, we can hear the noisy background music in New York including horns of vehicle, talking of people and clinking glasses. All the thing takes us into that time to experience their life. However, If it do not have this movie and photos, who can remember the humble bar and these people in the rapidly growing city.

Therefore, as a designer , I think I need to document our life and some people who around with you. It help me to consider the society and discover some problems. Because in my opinion, design is a mothed to solve problem and communicate with public.

https://documentarystorm.com/terminal-bar/