Task 8

I have always been a great admirer of David Shrigley’s drawings. To me, they represent a fast flowing style that comes straight from the mind, an image that isn’t thought through meticulously for days or even weeks on end. Although I find this important with some aspects of practice, I feel that artwork like Shrigley’s is needed within the art world to keep it ‘sane’. A large proportion of his drawings clearly have a deeper meaning, but they are depicted in a lighthearted manner. I have always enjoyed creating drawings similar to Shrigley’s, I find that fast mark making, combined with a small caption of text, therapeutic, more importantly for me, it is a very quick and easy way to visualize my thoughts and ideas. Shrigley’s text is often somewhat confusing, in the sense that it doesn’t explain the image accompanying it, give specific opinions or give any real narrative. Even though I find this manner of text intriguing, I wanted to do something different. I decided to start regurgitating sayings and clichĂ©s from my childhood. Many people would have heard similar things during their upbringing; they ranged from strict do and don’ts from adults or teachers, to certain equations and formulas that are forever stuck in my mind. In honesty, I started using this text as I couldn’t think of what else to write, but I soon realised that it accompanied the fast scribbly drawing style very well.