Task 7/8 Reflective Writing

Fashion Media

Fashion media: Past and Present edited by Djurdja Bartlett, Shaun Cole and Agnes. 

I’ve chosen this book because i think that the fashion media is one of a very interesting topic to write about. The title of the article is “Taste, Fashion, and French Fashion Magazine by Sanda Miller” I’d like to read and analyse this topic further in depth and writing me thoughts and summerize it from my perspective.

After I’ve read through the article I’ve manage to understand and get a vague overview base on the topic, the article is 8 pages long while i was reading the article I’ve note down some keywords as it will be useful because i don’t have the actual book next to me by doing this it’ll help reminded me and i can use it as a reference while reflecting to the article later on.

I’ve read through the whole article and decided to first unpack the first part of the articl (first paragraph on p.13) my analysis is that the text discuss how the fashion magazine have been one of the important stages to represent fashion, social, culture, and taste which is “conceived as a gazette that covers arts, theatre, and also gossip column which as accepted to be when Jean Donneau de Vise published “Le Mercure Galant”. To help me understand the whole article i have to first unpack everything bit by bit and then added up then gather my thought my understanding of the article is accurate as much as possible.

My interpretation of this article is dicuss the “fashion and taste” the art philosophers, and journalist critics criticised that is fashion considered as a form of art? The article also discuss personal opinion and personal “avowals” which is base on their experience of what’s considered beautiful and not beautiful like a painting for example which link to the “delicacy of the imagination”. The article also talks about the revolutionary of the fashion magazines, “fashion plate” (which is fashion illustration used in magazines) which considered as “wasteful elegance of the aristocracy during the Rococo period” 

(P.18)

(P.228)

Elizabeth Wilson (2003) Adorned in Dreams fashion and modernity, London, I.B. Tauris& Co.Ltd. 

To develop me analysis I’ve bring up this book Adorned in Dreams by Elizabeth Wilson and I’ve found this quote in chapter 11: Feminism and Fashion which talks about how clothes are important or unimportant for everyone in general whether men or women. Fashion had always considered and critised and argue by many critics and journalists some said that it’s a trivial subject and shouldn’t consider as a form of art, for people who interested in it would see it as a ways to express their personal style and taste and how appeareance can affected the way people think of their personality.

Mary Eliza Haweis 1870s.

This quote link to the “Fashion media” about “fashion and taste” and this quote stating pretty similar thing this one saying that people who associate themselves with beautiful things would see that taste and fashion are important to them that any flaws in colours would make them feel “disapprobation” and even “physical pain”.

Jukka Gronow 14 Aug 2017 Taste and Fashion: The social Function of Fashion and Style. http://somethingcurated.com/2017/08/14/taste-fashion-social-function-fashion-style/ [07/12/17]

I’ve found this online article about taste and fashion: social function and style this article is more current than the other two books which gave a diffent view and perspective to this topic but they all discuss the similar topic which is “aesthetic” and how each individual consider it as a important part of their lifestyle and how it’s socially acceptable.

References:

1. Fashion media: Past and Present edited by Djurdja Bartlett, Shaun Cole and Agnes.

2. Elizabeth Wilson (2003) Adorned in Dreams fashion and modernity, London, I.B. Tauris& Co.Ltd.

3. Jukka Gronow 14 Aug 2017 Taste and Fashion: The social Function of Fashion and Style. http://somethingcurated.com/2017/08/14/taste-fashion-social-function-fashion-style/ [07/12/17]