Task 6

I have always ben immensely fascinated with printing techniques and different printing media, ever since I was first introduced to the practice during GCSEs. Since then I have worked with a large range of printing techniques including; Lino, Drypoint etching, etching and screen-printing. And within each of these disciplines I have explored the ‘common’ methods of mark making on the plate/screen etc. While these methods are a perfectly acceptable way to create great works of art, personally, I find it difficult to stand out when the same ‘style’ of printing is being constantly regurgitated. Something that I touched on while studying my A-levels, is combining different printing processes in the same image, for example, I created large scale screen prints then printed and etching over the top. I really liked this approach to working and developed it as much as I could until my ideas surpassed the resources I had at my disposal. Now that I am at university, and thereby have many more facilities to experiment with, I wish to further my investigations in terms of print. Although I have combined different printing processes on the paper, I have not yet combined them on the plate. For example, I am currently exploring different forms of Lino printing, and I have the idea to create a ‘standard’ Lino printing plate and then using an etching tool to etch onto the same plate. If this ‘works’ then from there I can experiment with the order in which I print (cut Lino, print, then etch etc.), different inks and varying scale.