task 5

In particular at the Tate Modern’s ā€˜Giacomettiā€™ exhibition, one of the paintings named ā€˜Diegoā€™ really caught my attention. This specific painting is of his brother and was created in 1953. He illustrates the figure as alone which I personally found really interesting. He places the figure alongside a grey background with dull blue tones and uses dark black lines to generate negative space contrasting between the body and the background. I was so captivated by this work I bought a print of it at the end of the viewing, however seeing the painting ā€˜in the fleshā€™ was somewhat different. Being able to see the image on the scale in which the artist intended it to be observed is one way in which it was a valuable experience but in particular, the paint textures and the expressive mark making is something you just canā€™t see with a picture of the painting. For example whilst looking at the painting I noticed fluid brushstroke. In addition, I could also see in what way Giacometti had constructed layers inside the painting, with thin paint in some parts and even with some of the canvas showing in parts then building up a thicker quantity of paint around and in the figure which is the center of the piece. For instance, the head is greatly worked in with paint and solid in appearance. The reproduced print sold in the shop is in far less detail and seems like only a reminder of the physical work.