Task 4

Red Star over Russia, Tate Modern 2017-2018

Overall the exhibition was, for me, inspirational in a sort of melancholy manner. The imagery displayed throughout the exhibition was spectacular and the deep historical background that it represented supported it further. This to me was very significant and it reminded me of the importance of meaning in my work, because of the emotions, or lack of emotions, that an artwork could create. By supporting the works with historical content the curator has provided a great context for viewers to recognize. This makes the exhibition as a whole much easier to understand and, more importantly, gives the viewer a better opportunity to make their own thoughts and opinions on the relevance of the work at the time. The exhibition had a real emphasis on informing the viewers on the historical and political history of soviet Russia, I feel that this strong historical part of the exhibition was integrated perfectly with the ‘artistic’ side of the exhibition. It would have been easy for the exhibition to have a ‘museum’ like atmosphere, but this was not the case.