Task 1

Change has been a recent theme in my work, During the summer, I had been working on an ongoing paining project. Starting with a sudden realisation that the process of preparing for one of my paintings has created some sort of metaphor for my current life situation at the time. I made the difficult decision to drop out of Falmouth University back in February. It was hard thinking about the amount of amazing people I had met, how Cornwall is such a lovely place to live and how I didn’t want to disappoint anyone by dropping out, like I had given up. But the course just wasn’t for me, I constantly worries about money and my mental health was declining rapidly.  So, I had to sacrifice a few things for the benefit my future, no matter how scared of debt or reapplying for university I was.
So, I was sat scraping away at one the artworks I made back in my foundation year, worrying about how easily the plaster and paint would come off and whether it was really worth it. Truth is, the paint was slowly falling apart in the corner of my room anyway. Bits of dusty material kept falling on the carpet as a brushed past it daily.
What I’m getting at is if you don’t like what you’re seeing in your life and want to change it, then change it. Even if you’re scared to. Some of the paint took more effort to scrape and some not at all. It’s bits of the past you can’t change, but you work a little harder to create a new surface to paint over.
I then created a few newer paintings using the same sturdy frame and a new layer of canvas, this process of recovering/painting over can now bring up new ideas for me of how my work is produced in terms of exhaustion of material, entropy/history.