Final Summary

Throughout the research and communication I feel that Iā€™ve developed my talents for analyzing an artistā€™s work. I believe that I look at artwork in a different way that before, such as previously I would see a piece and think about the way it was done, how they would have created it and what kind how art movement the artist would have followed, But now I have a deeper understanding of what this art represents and who did/ does effect and possibly inspire. For example the counter culture essay made me realize that the art wasnā€™t just about style or a fashionable trend to follow, but a symbol that fought against the way the system was running, anti war and a better way for the public to express how the people of there era felt, free, experimental and passivism.

I also revisited the artist Ai Weiwei that Iā€™ve done work on before and seen a few exhibitions that he had done, one in the RA in London and another exhibition in Greece. I love seeing his work mainly on the basis that the final result isnā€™t whatā€™s spectacular, although sometimes it is, but its what each piece resembles and his thought processes behind them is what really inspires me. I wrote about his dropping of the Han dynasty pot that I actually based a project on in my art foundation where I made a replica pot from clay then, purposefully, dropped it in a crit in front of my assessors to try and relive the scene, but that attitude in his art is what really attracts my attention because he had a one million pound pot thatā€™s two thousand years old and he smashes it for a cause that he was passionate about and a cause that needed a shocking piece of art work to show the public that it was a big issue. Although after researching him this time I realized that there is a totally other side to his art that people really dislike, and its his arrogance. I noticed that people looked at that dropping of the pot as not helping the cause he wanted to expose, but endorsing it and having no shame in destroying a historical artifact, also having a very violent approach towards it.

I feel that in conclusion the Research and development tasks have helped me creatively write and take time in researching every aspect of a topic and seeing every side to an art piece. Itā€™s given me a better understanding on how to be a better designer in many ways but to look at thing from different perspectives. After watching ā€˜the happy filmā€™ by Stefan Sagmeister in one of our early lectures I understood that to be a better that great graphic designer you have to open your mind to different experiences to really understand something and put yourself in situations that affect your standard thought processes in a way that challenges it, and personally writing isnā€™t my strongest asset at all in comparison to doing physical work but doing the research and development tasks has defiantly improved my ability to assess and write about artist work.