Conclusion

In developing as a creator and designer I not only need to gain practical skills and techniques to become well balanced. In order to mature to my full potential growing my skills in communication, investigation and research of information will enable me to grasp better understandings for situations in my creative future. Through out the past weeks the Research and Communication Skills lectures has shown me a variety of past and present artist, all in which can give me beneficial inspiration, as well as that, learning about the changes throughout the 20th century betters my understanding of why things are the way they are now.

Looking into individual art movements in the 20th century one by one was very intriguing. Through using research resources such as the Internet and library I could delve deeper into these specific art movements. I could see how certain events, political situations and public ideals shaped these movements, such as Constructivism and artist Aleksandr Rodchenko who was ā€œpromoting the ideas of the government, particularly with hisĀ graphic designā€.

Being interested in graphics design and illustrations, the ā€˜Research and Communication Skillsā€™ module has shown me the progression of things I find interesting, widening my prospective and views. Also Iā€™ve been able to find artist like El Lissitzky, a Russian Designer who developed Suprematism which uses shapes in a minimal manner as the key values. As a designer who prefers a minimal approach to design, finding out information like this ultimately helps me to create a variety of different work. I can now even notice popular artist currently who have taken inspiration from older movements, one being Shepard Fairey whose work resembles constructivism. A lot of his work might be screen printing but what inspired me in his work was the powerful messages that can be transferredĀ across to an audience and that relates to who I am as a designer and where want to be heading.

Image result for El Lissitzky,Image result for shepard fairey we are the people

As well as learning about connections between my work and the past. There has been task where Iā€™ve needed to express my opinion. Iā€™ve played devilā€™s advocate in situations where I needed to give valuable reasons for and against in certain topics. Learning to research is just as important as my communication of what Iā€™ve learnt, me being able to give constructive opinions will help in many ways – ā€œengage with their audience, and effectively communicate their skills and expertise.ā€.

Overall I found this module very useful. To begin with it has already given me a greater in sight into art, inspiring me with a variety of new learnt movements and artist. Already I am reaping the benefits of this research, in my current work I have been able to come up with more creative ideas and been more willing to test the boundaries within my own work.

Bibliography

Kate Makie ā€œengage with their audience, and effectively communicate their skills and expertise.ā€, (2017) : https://artrepreneur.com/art-student-communication/

El LissitzkyĀ “5. Globetrotter (in Time)”, (1923) :Ā http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/lissitzky-5-globetrotter-in-time-p07142

Shepard Fairey “Greater than Fear”, (2017) :Ā https://obeygiant.com/people-art-avail-download-free/