Reflective Evaluation

“You have to talk about ‘The Terminator’ if you’re talking about artificial intelligence. I actually think that that’s way off. I don’t think that an artificially intelligent system that has superhuman intelligence will be violent. I do think that it will disrupt our culture.” 

• – Gray Scott

A major factor that played into the difficulty of this module was the effect of financial problems, and the necessity of having to sort them out, taking time away from my work. I feel that this was unavoidable however, yet was still a big issue I see fit to note down for future reference so if something similar comes up, I learn to try and juggle the two things and still be able to get on with my work.

I feel however that during this module I learnt a lot of new things about a number of different aspects within the games industry and related fields, such as AI advancement as well as the interactions between humans and computers, which all in all have helped me when it comes to formulating ideas for games, or something similar. For example, the discussions on human computer interaction have given me ideas for different kinds of mechanics within video games, or different ways of presenting a story and so on. The discussions on AI, though it may not be related to games, expanded my point of view on the ethics of the advancement of artificial intelligence and also expanded my own knowledge on the subject which has raised a number of themes I found to be intriguing such how society will adapt and change to incorporate AI such as androids and so forth in the future, and how rights and ethics would work, etcetera etcetera.

During the discussions and work process I have noted a number of flaws in my methods of work and have begun to develop a number of different methods to replace these. One being that I will allot myself an hour or so a day to drop everything and get on with my coursework, as life the past four months has been the definition of hectic. I need to improve upon my ability to micro-manage situations, as well as improve upon my ability to articulate a point further, because I feel that it is evident that whilst the questions posed in these essays are answers, they can be very short, some being only two hundred and fifty words at most. The necessity of micro-management is a major topic I have focused on when reflecting upon this module, something that until now has been somewhat uncommon in my life. I feel however that as I work, the more I will learn how to overcome these problems and discover new ways of dealing with them and overcoming adversities.

All in all this module was beneficial to me as a sense of inspiration and influence. I took from a number of these lectures numerous interesting points that I have in my own time researched and learned more about in order to better understand the circumstances behind them, for example the ethics of Artificial Intelligence advancement and so forth, and it has opened by eyes to a number of practices that whilst beneficial to me a year or two ago, need to be adapted or changed to better suit my situation at University.

Bernard Marr. (SEP 21, 2017). 28 Best Quotes About Artificial Intelligence. Available: https://www.forbes.com/sites/neustar/2017/09/21/attackers-are-thinking-about-your-application-layer-security-are-you/#4f797c0b4066. Last accessed 7/12/17.