Task 6 – Victoria- Tomi Olumide

My Art practice has been guided by themes which involve questioning the surface of subjects I do not understand, such as the human condition towards the theatrics of culture, religion and social intimacy. I would like to explore pathways in mediums other than 2 dimensional painting and drawing, I see the content which I illustrate in my art as expressive and the very embodiment of my emotions, often times involving intimate revelations, at times obscured and vulnerably becoming the subject of my own work as a means to continuously discover my identity. I would like to produce also performance pieces, with the aid of objects of significance in relation to my explored subject matter. Spoken words pieces as I have become fond of verbally narrating my work, incorporating visual art pieces with physical body performances accompanied by musical iterations or speaking might be an interesting direction to go towards.

My process of working and belief system towards the process of creating is explosive= provoked, ecstatic, spontaneous and unapologetic whilst swimming in a pool of ambiguity as they portray fragments of obscured elements of my personality. I view my work to be uncensored and censored as well, as it is influenced by aspects of my cultural heritage, family values and a vague mix of adulterated personal figments, during the thought process and also production.

Ideally a big warm open space would work best, a serene atmosphere which I can disrupt with my vivacious Afro beats music and the soulful listens of Neo-soul playlists. Surrounded by Afro- futuristic décor and lively warm colours on curtains and walls, and lastly a Wenzels hot chocolate machine in the corner.