task 5/6

This image was made for the 125th issue of vogue I choose this image because of its uniqueness within the fashion industry and within magazines themselves. Vogue choose three people to create covers aside from some ordinary options such as the one by Annie Leibovitz, vogue choose painter John Currin for the job. In my head this reminds me of the original fashion magazines harking back to the late 17th and early 18th century which because of the lack of photography in the world would have been all drawn and painted. I love how at a time of celebrated such forward-thinking magazine such as vogue they glimpse back to there roots as a company. When looking up the artist influence I came across that he is often inspired by the renaissance era which I think you can see the links too in this picture because that era saw the progression in art to make things more realistic and often is thought to be a big turning point in art. I particularly like the mood of the painting Jennifer Lawrence the actress who is portrayed this painting seems to look innocent the colors used such as the pale pinks and the softness of her skin. But as well as this there is a strongness which I truly believe was provided from the accessories in which she is wearing and holding. The Miu Miu hat and bag portraying a sense of strength with the fur hat often associated with strong Russian characters and the bag with bold purples and green showing that she is not afraid make a statement and have colour in what she wears. In conclusion I think this is a very intelligent and interesting image by john currrin and a fantastic decision for vogue to have made and I can see how the many influence in this painting could influence a designer.