Task 5- Victoria- Tomi Olumide

Crowd Commotion
Olumide Onadipe
2016-2017
Plastic sachets and electric cable
153 x 174 cm

My first observation of the installation was the physical elements from which it was made of. The plastic- ball- like structures which had been time consumedly- combined together at the looks of it, as it appears that each fragment was placed together in such a meticulous manner which gave the impression of some sort of preciousness towards the process as a contrast to the actual appearance of the work, which is sits restless in its ambiguity.

When I did observe it further, I realised the multitude of structures were not of balls at all but the forms of spiralled sheets of folded and wrapped synthetic plastic sheets, kernelled and then tied in place with metal wire in a way which looks like the artist was cautious of revealing the process in production how they had worked to their audience, through the neat arrangement of the wire assembling. 

The story behind the artwork I think is about the climate of the city of Lagos. The artist grew up in Lagos Nigeria describes the street vibe and atmosphere of the busy city and its people as well, through the illustration of the subject by the multi repetitive plastic sculpted installation. I believe the artist’s production of the work best describes the phrase ‘hustle and bustle of Lagos’. 

The title ‘Crowd Commotion’ is about the disruption, restlessness and the uncertainty of the state and atmosphere of Lagosian (Inhabitants of Lagos state). Lagos is a metropolis city and so is very busy and greatly populated as well, with respects to that, the artist has symbolised that through the bold repetition of the plastic elements which I believe represent the multitude of various individuals. In my lifetime I have only known the appearance of the product ‘Pure Water’ to be in two shades of blue, (Sky blue and Dark blue). This I became become aware from a recollection of my childhood in Lagos, remembering that the brand of ‘Pure water’ has on its transparent nylon sachets colour fonts of either seen the light blue colour in my younger years while growing up in Lagos as well, but more recently I recall seeing the darker blue fronted labels and greyish transparent appearance.

I think the use of the plastic medium in its multi production illustrates population, and towards this the two colours represent the age brackets in the Lagos populous. I think the installation illustrates the age bracket in populous of the Lagos people, as we see it in two colours which distinctively in multiples almost cancel each other out, however the grey plastic does seem to wipe out the sky blue.

References 

1-54.com. (2017). 1-54 Contemporary African Art Fair. [online] Available at: http://1-54.com/london/artists/onadipe olumide/  [Accessed 4 Dec. 2017].

SMO Contemporary Art. (2017). Olumide Onadipe – SMO Contemporary Art. [online] Available at: http://www.smocontemporaryart.com/artist-details/olumide-onadipe/  [Accessed 4 Dec. 2017].

Smocontemporaryart.com. (2017). Cite a Website – Cite This For Me. [online] Available at: http://www.smocontemporaryart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Crowd-Commotion-20162017Plastic-sachets-Electric-cable-153-x-174-cm-1024×975.jpg  [Accessed 4 Dec. 2017].