Task 10

A cynical, ironic presentation that compass feminist art and theory.

My practise explores what it is to be a woman but not just in the classical sense as through my research i have gleaned at there different strains of classification of what being a woman is. It is also heavily reminiscent of feminist artwork and looks to female artists (not necessarily feminist artists) as I feel that their techniques and use of certain media was something I could use and work with for my own project. I have chosen to use embroidery but in an ironic fashion playing upon its own stereotype of being “woman’s work” but I wanted to play upon the ironic themes and representations I have researched and will feature within my work. I wanted to use typography and imagery (basic due to the time consuming technique of embroidery) to highlight the errors in female representations and misogynistic statements which are still frequent in today’s society. I would like to do a series of embroidery pieces that show in detail a variety of misogynistic statements that highlight the backwards thinking of most people (both male and female and everything in between). As I’ve continued my research I’ve discovered prejudices and negative statements within certain groups in communities such as the transgender community to name one, it shows that on a whole the world and society need to learn to love and accept those who don’t fit into what is “common” as nothing is normal, it is only what occurs most.