FINE ART-Task 6-H.Joyce

The theme of my contemporary project was simplicity. This was reflected in the artists I chose who I believe apitamised the idea that for a work of art to be poignant or beautiful you really don’t need to over complicate things. Bill Viola is a great example of this; his video work often of a single still subject, reminding me of the still life’s of the Great Masters, yet completely coming to life with subtle movements and sublime use of colour.

For my practice I decided to use one item to create artwork with and record the various marks I could make with it, this through the use of drawing, photography and video. I started simply, using the tin as a mark making tool and using the various textures to print onto paper. This created a series of experimental ink drawings, each one with a different kind of imprint left on the surface. After each drawing I photographed the tin. This reminded me of an almost forensic experience, the stark white background contrasting with the slowly changing tin. Each imprint like a series of ever changing fingerprints.

To develop this further I saw what I could do myself to change the kinds of marks made. This including drilling into the tin and melding it with a hammer. I again recorded this process with video and photography.