Beth Ashford – Task 8

Within this piece of work I took an old renaissance image created by Titian and made it into a modern day Instagram post; By doing this I am commenting on the way in which images are seen in the present day and what is classified as art. Using an original Instagram post by Kim Kardashian shows the levels of people that social media can effect in the same way that art would have previously done. The irony of the actual imagery used shows venus being pampered and entertained, and pairing this with the caption “Got to hang with these beauties at my fragrance launch!” almost insinuating that the character of venus would want to come across as being friendly with the people who were tending to her every need. Developing this imagery would be interesting as I could create an entire series comparing the modern day to the past and creating contemporary vs classic outcomes where the lines are blurred, in a similar vein to this outcome I would paint my own imagery in the style of renaissance paintings but still keep the modern figures and frame them within social media handles to contrast to the photographs that you would normally see in that setting.