Task 8

The image I have appropriated into my work is an ink illustration by Rola Chang. Her works are dynamic in composition implying rapid movement and intense action. The image I used specifically is called “dragon girl” and I have painted her face in ink on a ripped-up t-shirt stapled on cardboard. Then I had started to use the shirt as a rag for mixing oil paints and testing ink brush strokes while not being concerned of destroying the piece. What I ended up with was a Murillo-esque art piece whom paints on improvised canvasses which are usually difference fabrics woven together and creates a graffiti driven mark making. This piece mimics the practice of graffiti in a sense that it is tagging Rola Chang’s dragon girl over with my mark making. The effects of how the ink bleeds into the shirt and the glaze medium applied with the oil paints gave it the appearance of being stains on a dirty clothe.  The hardest part was painting the face from Rola Chang’s work as I couldn’t control the direction of how the ink set onto the fabric like I could on normal paper. To overcome this i used a dry brush full of ink and lightly dabbed onto the shirt to accurately draw the girl.