Task 6: Modes of practice – the different ways in which artists make work.

Speaking on behalf of myself as an artist, there are a few ways that I make work which I would like to expand on and change. For instance, I prefer to shut myself away on my own to create my work, with background noise from music/film/television as inspiration to convey a mode. Another thing that helps me to create artwork are smells, for instance incense sticks really help to calm me.

In an ideal situation, I would like to be able to produce work this way with some adaptation. It is important to work among your contemporaries. In order to develop my mode of practice I could work in the studio amongst my peers but seat myself in a corner facing the wall or a more empty space to give the illusion of being alone. Although I cannot burn incense in the studio at University, I could maybe buy a reed diffuser to channel calming scents, and buy some headphones so that I can listen to music whilst working, or bring in my laptop and watch films.

My ideal studio would be very quiet, with bare walls that I could hang my artwork from, and this is what I will strive for once I complete my degree.