Task 5

During the summer, I visited the exhibition ‘Beyond Caravaggio’ which was a collaboration between the National Gallery (London), the National Gallery of Ireland, and the National Galleries of Scotland. In this exhibition I found a multitude of enticing artworks, yet I was immediately engrossed in The Incredulity of Saint Thomas by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio. His hyperrealist painting depicts Jesus proving his resurrection to Thomas the Apostle who previously disbelieved his miracle.

The experience of seeing this masterpiece in “the flesh” was startling; the lighting of the room was perfectly adjusted to illuminate the figures against the dark background. What I found particularly interesting was that Jesus (typically surrounded by a holy golden glow) is depicted to be a man of flesh and blood without the classic halo; the experience of seeing Jesus in this recognisable form makes the painting more immersive and real. The meticulous detail of the fabric, skin and hair renders me speechless, its astonishing how realistic it looks. There’s something oddly unsettling about the way Thomas’ finger penetrates Jesus’ flesh; the illusion of Jesus’ untouchable physicality is shattered.

Beyond Caravaggio (2016-2017) [Exhibition]. The National Gallery, London. 12 October 2016 to 15 January 2017.