Task 10

grotesque.erotic.texture.form.ugly.material.yeezus.surreal.colour.consumption.

The words I haveĀ chosenĀ relate to what I’ve been focusing on in my research and practical work. I’ve been working on creating grotesque and ugly art that becomes more desirable than something created to be pretty because IĀ find there’s something more aesthetically pleasing about a mess, the unrefined or imperfections of a piece of work.

In creating my 3-dimensional work, the material is important, I want to create something tactile. I sometimes aim to make my objects erotic because I’m heavily inspired by Marcel Duchamp’s erotic objects and the tangibility of the work conforms with the eroticism.

I’ve been using American media for my motif as I’mĀ fascinated with American culture and the oversaturation of media, advertisement, and consumption.

Yeezus is a constant source of inspiration, especially with my current focus on what I am trying to produce, Yeezus is layeredĀ with grotesque production, distortion, and garish, insensitive lyrics and subject matter addressingĀ American culture.

I like to use the photocopier in my 2D work because it can create interesting and unexpected results when layering images and words and feeding in differentĀ coloured paper can change the mood of the accompanying images. I like to use pink, fleshy colours and saturated colours to create a contrast to the dark subject matter.