Authenticity

if something is authentic it is genuine and real, not a fake or a copy. Relating this to my own practice any original piece that I create would be ‘real’ and therefore can be seen as authentic and genuine

Artists and designers take inspiration from everything around them including other current artist and art that came before them, all tweaked and updated to fit modern standards and culture. Can it then be said that no art today is authentic. As we are merely adapting old concept or upgrading old techniques to fit our needs in the ever moving world of art.

In art I believe something’s authenticity relies more on it being created by who it says it was. Forgery in the art world would be an example of this. If I created an exact replica of the ‘Mona Lisa’ it would both be inauthentic because it would not be the original created by Leonardo da Vinci in 1503, however it would be authentic as a real piece of my own work as long as I didn’t try to make it seem as if it were the original. A real life example of this is referenced in Denis Dutton’s discussion on authenticity in art                                                                                               “A forged painting, for example, will not be inauthentic in every respect: a Han van Meegeren forgery of a Vermeer is at one and the same time both a fake Vermeer and an authentic van Meegeren, just as a counterfeit bill may be both a fraudulent token of legal tender but at the same time a genuine piece of paper.”

Some people do not share this opinion. Believing that no art today can truly be authentic because in everything made there is at least one aspect that is copied from somewhere.

Article title: Denis Dutton on authenticity in art
Website title: Denisdutton.com
URL: http://www.denisdutton.com/authenticity.htm