Sustainable fashion.

Book

“The total amount of clothing and textile waste arising per year in the UK is approximately 2.35 million tonnes.”

Fletcher, K. (2008) Sustainable Fashion & Textiles, Design Journeys. United Kingdom and United States of America: Earthscan.

Knowing facts like this makes you aware of the problem and consider how I might do something differently when I have my own business.

Website

“Christopher Ræburn is a British fashion designer with a unique and innovative approach to creating menswear, womenswear, and accessories collections. A graduate of London’s prestigious Royal College of Art, Christopher became known for his re-appropriation of military fabrics and in particular for iconic outerwear created from de-commissioned parachutes.”

Londonfashionweek.co.uk. (2017). London Fashion Week – Christopher RÆBURN. [online] Available at: http://www.londonfashionweek.co.uk/designers_profile.aspx?DesignerID=1136 [Accessed 25 Oct. 2017].

I have been inspired by Ræburn’s work for a long time and find his work incredibly interesting. I have been lucky enough to go to his studio and talk to him about the process of his work. In the future I hope to work with materials that have already served one purpose.

Newspaper

“Birdsong is a British brand whose clothing is made by women’s organisations, including knitwear made at a day centre for older women, and garments produced by highly-skilled migrant seamstresses at a factory in London. Their clothes are traceable – the name of the woman who made the garment is on the label.”

Emine Saner, (2017) Sustainable style: will Gen Z help the fashion industry clean up its act. The Guardian, 25 April 2017.

Many designers are looking at how to produce clothes in a more ethical way – especially after the Rana Plaza disaster, where 1,135 garment workers were killed and thousands were injured.