Task Six

When given the task of reinventing a mode of practice, I immediately thought of Jackson Pollock’s processes, and the expressive way that he creates his paintings. His process is something I hold a particular interest in, due to the performative, gestural aspect that his paintings hold. Although Pollock’s pieces are very much about the outcome, I wanted to focus on Pollock’s mode of practice by paying more attention to the actual process, and celebrate the gestural movements that this process possesses.

Personally, I am very interested in both performance art and the concept of process, which is why I consider Pollock to be an interesting artist to explore for this task. Looking at photographs of Pollock creating his paintings is what inspired me the most to develop his working process, and so I feel it would be interesting to perhaps create a piece of video art which documents the gestures and movements people make when trying to adopt his working process. This could perhaps become a participatory activity, and it would probably be more effective if I kept my true intentions of focusing on their actual movements rather than the outcomes covert, so as to ensure the footage I gather is as authentic as possible in regards to the individuals mimicking the process. This would allow me to not only reinvent Pollock’s process, but document and celebrate it as well.