Task 12, Ambition: Scale and Complexity

I have chosen to look into this chalk drawing based off Picasso’s work within my contemporary project. The piece is 210mm x 297mm, a smaller image then most other works in my sketch book. Due to the scale of the canvas the complexity of the distinctive lines and shapes are small. However if I was to expand the scale the detail would increase also.

A likely effect of the un-normal features, such as the eyes touching and the cheeks swirling into the face would help the viewer to confused and feel uncomfortable. It would help to take away the classic view upon the human face, which I have been looking to do within my project. By increasing the scale it would help to develop a stronger statement. The colours would be more pronounced, vibrant and amplified.

If the proportion of this piece was to enlarge I would have to think about adding extra shades of purple, green, blue and red to help keep the face seem malformed yet eerie. It would also display both sides of the face as being further apart, as the left is filled in with cold complexion, compared to the right side with a warm feel.

Although I would try my best to keep the image as similar as possible to the original. The unfamiliar look upon the figures face would be further exaggerated as the image grows.