Is it possible to be truly authentic?

In the world of work and even education the value of your work will be judged immensely on its credibility, its authenticity to whom ever it was created by. For me the definition of something that is authentic is something that is genuine, of undisputed origin. However on inspection of this definition in my opinion I find it near impossible to say a piece of any work can be solely authentic with no inspiration, despite that; lets say an art design does take small inspiration from something else, it would be wrong to discredit the artist of his or her authenticity. Subconsciously or not we all take inspiration from the things we see and hear in our environment and it will be translated into our work, even in my own work I notice this. Whilst at college a front cover I made was original and authentic to me, all be it I know that I took inspiration from minimalism, artist Kenjiro Sano, typography techniques, etc. Nonetheless from my point of view this doesn’t remove my authenticity as a designer.

Modernism was a movement in the early 20th century focused on deliberately rejecting the styles of the past and experimenting in new techniques that reflect the progressing society and moving towards the future. Artists André Derain and Henri Matisse are co-founders of Fauvism. A movement “to break with traditional methods of perception” – Tate. These artists used vibrant and exaggerated colours unlike those before them. In my opinion, this was a period of time where artist were trying to break the mould and create their own authenticity .

Bibliography

Tate Modern, “to break with traditional methods of perception” : http://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/m/modernism