Task 6

My practise is based off the scattering of ashes after a funeral, my idea is based off of Buddhist dharma teachings that explain how nothing in life is permanent. With this in mind I wanted to create pieces be it a painting or a drawing or a sculpture and then continue to burn them. I would have the pieces film whilst having them burned to prove that the piece featured has been burnt and ashes have not just been gathered from elsewhere, if these pieces were to be exhibited I would have a film of each piece being burnt next to the canvas of the then burnt piece. Once the pieces have been burnt i would arrange the ashes onto a canvas to display the destroyed piece, I would try and have the canvas quite 3D and textured to show all the layers and how fragile ash can be. I wanted to show that artists should not be afraid to destroy something and that we shouldn’t be so precious about what we create as the destroyed or broken outcome could make something even more interesting that what it was before. I also wanted to show that something so harsh and destructive as fire could create something so delicate in the sense that ash can crumble away at a mere touch and give a very textured outcome due to the different rates of burning and heat.